The COVID-19 pandemic has created worldwide unrest and has affected hundreds of thousands of lives globally. It is affecting businesses and organizations to a very great extent. Organizations are uncertain about their next move, their next plan. Also, recruiting front line workers in sectors such as healthcare, retail, transport, etc was never so challenging as it is in Corona times.
Due to remote working at most organisations, there are various challenges in hiring. At this time, employers are very careful and cautious and are focusing on the applicant’s skills and abilities before recruiting them. One of the key challenges during this time is Background verification. Due to limited resources, organisations are finding it difficult to conduct background checks and verification while hiring new candidates.
Hiring a professional background verification company can help you to check the background of the candidates and foster quality employment.
Why is background check important?
One of the greatest advantages of pre-employment background verifications is to promote quality hiring and eliminate the chances of negligent recruitment. Organizations are responsible for the output of their workforce and hence hiring anyone who is not at par at this time can hamper the work quality of the organization. Background screening helps to know the previous employment history and record of accomplishment of a candidate. It provides great insights into their work behaviour and approach.
Background Checks such as identity verification, educational/professional qualifications, employment verification, address verification, and professional references helps to validate the information provided by the candidate.
Several background verification companies in Mumbai conduct thorough employee background checks on such parameters.
Employee Background Verification Challenges During COVID-19
The pandemic has affected organisations on background verification activities too. Today background verification companies in India are facing challenges in offering their professional services to their clients. They are too working from home and using digital methods to conduct a background verification process and provide complete screening information to the organizations. Due to lockdown constraints, these background verification companies are not able to perform physical background checks and screening. But they are trying to maintain the level of precision and accuracy as per the pre-Covid times.
Some challenges faced by the majority of employee background verification companies include:
- Courthouse Closures: The Covid-19 restrictions have made it difficult to get access to courthouse closures and records.
- Education verification: Since a majority of educational institutions and universities are non-operational getting access to this information is a little difficult. However, some professional employee background verification companies in Mumbai are able to get the desired information using their sources.
- Employment Verification: With organisations switching to work from home mode, there is a delay in getting information concerning previous employment, experience, performance at the previous roles, etc. from the old employer.
- Civil and Criminal Records: With public service organisations and several other government departments tied up with COVID-19 duties and with new responsibilities hence, it is challenging to get precise and timely information of a potential candidate.
Covid-19 pandemic has changed the complete scenario but has also increased the awareness and importance of employee background verification. Professional verification companies are functioning smoothly with some delays in the verification process. Screening services are grappling to provide quick, professional, and efficient employee background checks to their patrons. After all, employee background verification is an important step and must not be missed at any time especially, during a pandemic like COVID-19.
Are you looking for a candidate with the right skills and expertise for your organization? Finding a candidate with the right qualifications is becoming more and more difficult for many companies especially in the given scenario. Outsourcing your recruiting needs to an expert can help you overcome this challenge..
Here is how HR outsourcing companies can add efficiency to your recruiting efforts:
Possess the perfect skills to locate the right employees
Most of the HR companies that provide outsourcing services possess the skills and a team of experts to help employers source the right candidate. They implement new-generation strategies and solutions to find the ideal candidate. With their extensive search methods and sourcing techniques, they are able to find the right candidate through a large talent pool which is readily available with them.
Know your ideal candidate
One of the benefits of outsourcing HR activities is that these HR professionals try to understand who will be the right candidate for the organisation by their in-depth understanding of the position and what is expected from the candidate to fill in the position. In order to recruit the right candidate, assessing the skills, preferences, and characteristics of the candidate is necessary. This is achieved through screening and extensive interviews conducted by the HR professionals.
Use the right HR tools
For many occasions, the candidate that you choose may not suit for the position because of your traditional methods and techniques of recruiting. On the other hand, HR companies are able to recruit the right candidate because of their excellent screening processes & tools. Most of the Hr outsourcing firms ask candidates to complete online applications, assessment forms, graphology tests, and various other tests that highlight their knowledge, expertise, and skills.
Access to reach more candidates
Many organizations find it difficult to recruit qualified candidates because of the competitive and tough job market. In addition, limited locations for the purpose of recruiting and shortage of the right skills are also why they find it difficult to find the perfect candidate for a position. In such situations, companies seek help from outsourcing companies. One of the great advantages of outsourcing is that they have the access to reach more eligible candidates. They can easily access many passive candidates for a particular position through online portals, sourcing tools, social media/social recruiting, own database, network and their connections
More efficient to find the right candidate quickly
Finally, all the above benefits can in fact result in an efficient overall hiring process in a timely manner for your organization. Manpower planning can be done more effectively with the support of the right HR partner, and help organisations to fill old or new positions as per their needs.
Efficient and right employees are the most important assets of any business. But hiring employees who are skilled and capable is not so easy for any business. Hence, one can look at HR outsourcing companies to support their hiring needs as they are the experts in this field who can effectively deal with the recruitment problems that companies face.
When Business goes through challenging times it becomes imperative to achieve more with less resources ..Restrictions in budgets non availability of skilled manpower and resources, short time frame for completion of projects forces Organizations to think differently and re-align their process to hire skilled manpower for fixed term contracts or outsource hiring to HR consultants for Temporary staffing. This allows a business to add to their workforce selectively and in a dedicated area for a set timeframe, Employing staff on a fixed term contract or temporary basis saves money and resources and allows the enterprise to focus on the long-term business and core function areas ..
Contractual staffing or Temporary staffing hires skilled talent for specific short-term projects, or on contracts on the agency’s or Outsourced HR partners payroll. This in turn reduces cost and statutory liability in a huge way as it is taken over by the HR business partner
Temporary staffing also helps in reducing hiring risks, speeds up hiring process, increases flexibility, gain access to highly skilled employees/ manpower with broad experience. All of this in a short span of time..
Temporary Staffing is one of the latest global trends. It provides great flexibility to the Human Resource department as well. Temporary Staffing aims at meeting the exact requirements of an organization with ease. Contract Staffing is not a new phenomenon it has been prevailing in our society since ancient times. Earlier, specialized professionals were hired to get the project completed in the given timeframe. Today, this concept continues to exist. Expert professionals are hired on a contract basis to get the project done.
Temporary Staffing helps companies to channelize their work and improve their focus. It provides great liberty to business and allows them to avail of professional services without any burden or liability of staffing. Contract staffing helps businesses to make efficient use of their resources.
Reasons for the development of temporary staffing and contract staffing development
Allows a company to focus: The digitalization and volatile nature of the market demands attention and planning. It has become imperative for organizations and corporates to be on their toes all the time and plan their work accordingly. One has to adapt to the latest industry trends to get a competitive advantage. Hiring specialized individuals for a long term basis can cost companies great overhead costs. Whereas contract staffing and hiring professionals allow a company to avail of professional service for a limited period. Contract staffing reduces the stress on the companies and helps them explore business opportunities.
Plan Business Strategies: One of the greatest reasons why temp staffing is gaining popularity in the HR field is the flexibility it offers. Temporary staffing aids you to make an informed decision and set specific business goals and objectives. Temp staffing makes you prepared to face the ever-growing completion in the market and discover opportunities for diversification and expansion. Temp Staffing makes it easy to handle a marginal aspect of the workforce and take wise decisions.
Helps to accelerate business growth: The flexibility of temp staffing is one of the prominent advantages for a business. The contract professionals and staff are hired only till the time the project is on. This helps businesses to manage their funds properly and make the best use of available resources and time.
Better management of Cash Flow: Cash flow and fund management have a direct impact on the overall success of a business. Adopting a contracting business model can increase one’s strength and capability. It provides immense prospects to assent multiple projects at a time. It is a simple equation the more your contractors are working, the more you work.
Contract staffing is the latest phenomenon due to its numerous advantage and exceptional workforce flexibility it offers. It helps an organization to escalate their business and prosper exceptionally. However, it is essential to associate with some of the best temp agencies to hire proficient individuals on a contract basis and avail their proficient services. After all, the only things that matter for a business are the excellent workforce, skilled staff, quality of work, perfection, precision, and proper time management.
Occupational Safety, Health and Working Conditions Code, 2020 emphasizes on health, safety and welfare of the workers employed in various sectors like industry, trade, business, manufacturing, factory, motor transport undertaking, building and other construction work, newspaper establishments, audio-video production, plantation, mine and dock-work and service sectors.
The Code makes mandatory provisions for the employers to provide a safe working environment and trying to cover the risk of unfortunate incidents arising in the course of employment.
- The Code aims at lessening the burden of the employers as it would replace multiple registrations under various enactments to one common registration, one licence and one return which will ultimately create a consolidated database centrally and will be helpful under ease of doing business.
- The workplace should be kept free from hazards that cause or likely to cause injury or occupational disease to the employees
- Employers are required to conduct free annual health check-up for their employees.
- Issuance of appointment letter to every employee on their appointment in the establishment
- Workers / Employees are entitled to receive overtime amount at the rate of twice the wage.
- Employers or Contractors are responsible to provide welfare facilities to inter-state migrant workers.
- Employers are required to provide facilities such as ventilation, humidification, potable drinking water, adequate lighting, creche, washing facilities, bathing places, locker rooms etc.
- The licence issued by the appropriate authority for inter-state migrant workers shall be made electronically.
- Contractor operating in more than one state will have one licence from the Central Government and the validity of Licence will be 5 years and may be renewed thereafter.
- The contractor shall apply for amendment of licence along with security deposit in case if there is increase in number of the contract labour.
- Workers employed in Transport, Sales Promotion and Journalism have special work hour and leave requirements specified.
- Employer in construction business cannot hire workers with defective vision, deafness, or a tendency for giddiness, if there’s risk of accident.
- The employer to pay yearly journey allowances to every inter-state migrant worker a lump-sum amount of fare for to-and-fro journey to his native place from the place of his employment.
- Employer in plantation to make provisions for necessary housing accommodation including drinking water, kitchen and toilet, health and recreational facilities, to every worker employed in the plantation (including his family), crèches facilities for plantations having more than 50 workers (including workers employed by any contractor), educational facilities for children of workers between six to twelve years of age.
Industrial Relations Code, 2020 consolidates and amends the laws relating to Trade Unions, conditions of employment in industrial establishment or undertaking, investigation and settlement of industrial disputes. The code combines and simplifies 3 Central Labour Laws – The Trade Unions Act, 1926, The Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act,1946 and The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947.
The legislation provides for a broader framework to protect the rights of workers to form unions, to minimise the friction between the employers and workers and to provide provisions for investigation and settlement of industrial disputes.
- Provision for Gratuity has been made for ‘Fixed Term Employee’ if employee render service under the contract for a period of one year.
- The code provides that the fixed term employee will get all (Social Security) statutory benefits like ESI, EPF, bonus, wages, hours of work, etc at par with regular employees who are doing work of same or similar nature.
- The termination of the service of a worker as a result of completion of tenure of fixed term employment would not be a retrenchment.
- Definitions modified under the code i.e. Industrial Dispute, Railway, Employee, Employer and Industry etc.
- Trade union to give notice of 14 days before going on strike
- Arrangement for going to the Tribunal has been made for resolving disputes arising between Trade Unions.
- It raises the threshold for the requirement of a standing order from 100 to 300 workers.
- Efforts made by the Government for quickly resolving disputes of the workers :
- Introduced provision to refer the matter straight to the Tribunal in case the dispute is not resolved at conciliation stage.
- Provision for the Worker RE-Skilling fund has been made in the law to re-skill those workers who have been fired from their jobs. Employer to give additional 15 days salary to such employee.
- Employee of an Industrial raise dispute with the employer within the time limit of only 2 years instead of 3 years.
- The definition of worker will be based on the basis of wages being drawn by him and Worker/Employees with salary upto Rs 18,000 p.m.
- Industrial Relations Code Bill allows companies with up to 300 workers to lay off people without the state government’s approval.
- if over 50% of a company’s workers take concerted casual leave, it will be treated as a strike.
- A fine of INR 1,00,000, which may extend upto INR 10,00,000, is leviable on any person who contravenes this provision.